New Orleans Historic Districts Landmarks Commission (hdlc), architectural survey 1980
List of significant buildings recommended and/or for city and national landmark potential on the National Register of Historic places. A separate list will be made for the CBD.
Neighborhood, District by District
2249 Gravier. McDonough 30 School. Italianate with round towers at the corners. Cornice gone. Includes a small caretaker’s residence at 2224 Gravier, in the Eastlake manner.
2001 Palmyra. McDonough 11 school. W.A. Freret, 1879, in the Italianate manner.
2537 Tulane. Dixie Brewery. In the German Romanesque mode.
3827 Canal. Schoen Funeral Home. A fanciful building suggesting an enormous Spanish farmhouse, with Gothic and Romanesque details, arches and a conspicuous tile roof.
2001 Iberville. Grace Methodist church. An important example of the Queen Anne manner. In original good condition.
3835 Iberville. Christian’s Restaurant. An Eastlake church adapted to a restaurant.
400-11 N. Rampart. Gurlec and Guillot’s 1827 Mortuary Chapel. Our Lady of Guadalupe Church. City Landmark.
218 N. Roman. St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church. Nineteenth century French Gothic Revival and important, even with later changes. City Landmark.
St. Louis Cemetery No. 1. The oldest existing cemetery in the city, this complex of individual monuments, wall tombs and society tombs not only shows typical above-ground burial methods used in south Louisiana, but is an architectural expression of great visual effect and an historic relic of the past of major importance. The plan is haphazard and the tombs vary from elegantly designed and executed work to simpler constructions. National Register listing.
St. Louis Cemetery No. 2. A typical mid-nineteenth century New Orleans cemetery plan with regular “streets”, where monuments and wall tombs are built. It contains many architecturally important monuments. National Register listing.
2257 Bayou Road. A large Italianate central hall villa, in a fine yard.
2275 Bayou Road. A suburban house in the Creole tradition, with late Italianate additions. City landmark.
1240 N. Claiborne. Licalzi House, one and one-half story Queen Anne residence. Louis H. Lambert, architect; Harry W. Charlton, designer.
1640 N. Claiborne. A mansard Eastlake store with residence above, with extensive original fabric.
1317-19 Columbus. Greek revival double. Unusual side-galleried, gabled house.
2118 Dumaine. Italianate side hall cottage with exceptional ornamented dormer.
1423 Esplanade. A fine Italianate center hall two-story residence.
1519 Esplanade. An elegant center hall Greek Revival urban cottage built up the sidewalk; in good original condition.
1707 Esplanade. Henry Howard, architect, 1859. A fine Italianate side hall two-story residence in good original condition.
1914 Esplanade. Two-story side hall residence in a late Italianate-early Eastlake chamfered style. Detrimental two-story addition at one side.
2023 Esplanade. Greek Revival center hall cottage with Italianate remodeling.
2319 Esplanade. A good two-story Italianate side hall residence in good condition.
2212, 2216-18, 2222 Esplanade. An excellent group of three Italianate residences, all of different designs, making a superb group.
2306 Esplanade. Musson House. An Italianate side hall residence notable for its association with Edgar Degas.
2453 Esplanade. An elaborate two-story Mansard house which, although not original throughout, is a fine exuberant example of the adaptation of this style to New Orleans.
2522 Esplanade. A handsome two-story side hall residence in a large yard showing important design relationship with 1850 Italianate designs.
3241 Esplanade. St. Louis Cemetery No. 3. Combining oven tombs with individual monuments, this cemetery is primarily of the later nineteenth century to the present, but does contain some important mid-nineteenth century work, the Gallier family tomb being probably the handsomest design.
1751 Gentilly Road. A pair of entrance pavilions to the Fairgrounds, James Gallier Jr., architect, 1867 (?). Rare example of the Ornamental style with Swiss Chalet elements. Purple.
1418 Gov. Nichols. An exceptionally fine gable-ended center hall cottage in a large yard, combining certain Creole elements with an American residential form and showing a moderate early Greek Revival manner, again combined with Creole details. City landmark.
2855-57 Grand Route St. John. A two and one-half story residence of the 1830’s, combining Creole plan and door elements with a two-story Greek Revival gallery, Italianate moldings have been substituted for the original work on the columns and French doors.
2863 Grand Route St. John. Two and one-half story Greek Revival-Italianate side hall plan house, with extensive alterations. Moved from its original site on Esplanade.
2874-76 Grand Route St. John. A one and one-half story cottage with a cluster of service buildings attached to the back. French in plan and with French doors opening to the porch, this 1830’s building combines Creole with American elements. Later porch posts.
2901 (?) Grand Route St. John. One-story Creole house with an American style dormer in the hip roof with later inappropriate fluted Corinthian columns. Pure French in plan, this is an important surviving suburban villa, probably of the 1820’s.
1436-38 Leda. James Gallier Jr., architect, 1866. The remaining central building of the Luling Mansion complex. Although now crowded by adjacent buildings, the handsome Tuscan villa remains an important architectural relic. City Landmark.
1821 Orleans. Peter Claver Building, an early hospital. A Greek Revival structure to which a late nineteenth century addition was added. City Landmark.
1101 N. Rampart. Three-story residence in the Italianate taste with a two-story cast iron verandah. Much original fabric despite an alteration at the first floor for commercial usage.
1433 N. Rampart. Etoile Polaire, Greek Revival Masonic Lodge. City Landmark.
1027-29 N. Roman. A two-story residence with gallery on three sides of the second floor. The roof shape, openings and general building type are typical of Creole work of the early nineteenth century. Although with later railings, this is an important building.
1125 St. Ann. Jean Louis Rabassa house. An early nineteenth century in the Creole manner with a flaring double-pitched roof and with living quarters on the raised main floor. National Register listing.
1522 St. Bernard. St. Bernard Market. A Spanish Revival commercial building with a masonry arcade up to the curb of the street.
900 Block St. Claude. Perserverance No. 4. A pedimented Greek Revival Revival Masonic building. National Register listing.
1149 St. Claude. Includes the dePouilly Roman Revival Church of St. Augustine, his school, and a later rectory. City Landmark.
2512 St. Peter. General Laundry. An important Art Deco office building for a large commercial laundry. The use of reinforced concrete structural system is an early one of technological importance. In good original condition.
1923 St. Phillip. Gothic revival Church of St. Peter Claver.
2014 St. Phillip. A two-story Greek revival side hall plan residence in good condition.
2017 St. Phillip. Small one-story residence with exceptional Eastlake-Ornamental millwork. Porch offensively remodeled.
2552 St. Phillip. A Queen Anne structure, exceptional in being masonry.
2904-06 St. Phillip. A cottage in the Creole-Ameriocan taste, one of the few with its remaing front yard.
1125 Tonti. Odyessy House. A simple three-story brick building in the Italianate manner with fine cast iron verandahs on three sides and an Eastlake caretakers house, this is an important post-Civil War institutional building.
1022 Treme. An old gable-ended cottage built up to the sidewalk wit French doors and with 12/12 sash in the Federal taste.
1511 Ursulines. Greek Revival-Italianate raised cottage.
2116 Ursulines. St. Joseph’s Academy. Owen and Dibell, architects, 1906. A brick and stone four-story school in the late nineteenth century French Chateauesque manner.
2100 block of Ursulines. St. Joseph’s Chapel. James Freret, architect. Gothic style with Eastlake designs. Once probably entirely of brick, the front is now stuccoed.
1451-53 N. Villere. An Eastlake double shotgun with exceptional original fabric, including railing and privacy screens.
1430-32 Annette. Small Greek revival cottage with a deep front yard. Porch columns are later.
1820 N. Robertson. Genesis Missionary Baptist Church. An Eastlake Church with fine millwork, but exterior weatherboards recently covered with brick.
515 N. Robertson. Gayerre School. A good example of an institutional building in the Italianate manner.
1815 St. Claude. McDonough 16 School. Andry and Benernagel, architects, 1909. This brick three-story building combines the Italian Villa style with important Sullivanesque influence and Wrightian details.
2337 St. Claude. A small branch bank in a Beaux Arts Classical style, with much original fabric.
2345 St. Claude. Third District Building Association. Eugene J. Gilbert, architect, 1937. A small one and two story commercial building in the Art deco style, in almost perfect condition despite later signs and penthouse.
2381 St. Claude. St. Roch Market. Although with later changes at sidewalk level, the St. Roch Market structure of roof supported by boldly detailed columns is valuable as one of the very few remaining public market buildings left, and the only one of the Victorian era.
1421 St. Roch. Former fire station. A mixture of California Stick and Tudor.
1700 Blocks of St. Roch and MusicStreete. St. Roch Cemeteries. This complex of cemetery, chapel and shrine combines traditionalNew Orleans burial construction with buildings.
1738 St. Roch. Kelley drugstore. California Stick corner shop-residence in fine condition.
1835 St. Roch. Our Lady Star of the Sea Church. Wogan and Bernard, architects, Joseph Bernard, designer. A well done Beaux Arts Byzantine Colonial Revival rectory.
3933 Chartres. Purple. Lombard House, one of few remaining
French Colonial style suburban houses in new Orleans. City landmark.
3051 Dauphine. St. Vincent de Paul Church. Lewis Reynolds, architect. A handsome church in a correct Rennaissance taste. National Register Listing and a City Landmark.
640 Desire. A good one-story Greek Revival Italianate side hall plan house in a nice yard. I makes an important group with
702 Desire. A two-story side hall plan Greek Revival house, also in a large yard, and
3405 Royal. A late Italianate one-story cottage of complex form, handsome details, and a good yard.
3523 N. Rampart. The Italianate school building of the Academy of the Holy Angels and its picturesque church in a simple Queen Anne manner.
1641 Amelia. Two-story side hall residence in the Modern French-Italianate manner.
3604-06 Carondelet. Eastlake double shotgun wioth cast iron porch railing.
3611 Carondelet. Center hall cottage in an unusual version of the Italianate style, with an overhang paralleled by a terrace-porch beneath.
3627 Carondelet. Edward Gottheil, architect. Swiss Chalet with important Ornamental and Stick details. Purple. We consider it eligible for National Landmark status.
3723 Carondelet. A good Italianate raised cottage, with later dormer.
3805 Carondelet. Center hall Italianate Bracketed cottage.
3810-12 Carondelet. A two-story California Stick double with handsome details.
4003 Carondelet. Eastlake cottage with fine porch.
4319 Carondelet. Albert Theard, architect. A small Atr Moderne building with Art Deco details, originally a post office.
1735 Constantinople. Fine Arts Theater (Pleasant Grove Baptist Church. Emil Weil, architect (?). An unusual and intact early twentieth century Italian design, suggestive of Brunelleschi and palladio.
1816 Constantinople. A cottage with Queen Anne, Eastlake and possibly Beaux Arts influences, which has the air of late nineteenth century Hellenistic revivalism, suggestive of buildings in Pompeian frescos.
1820-22 Constantinople. A double shotgun in the Eastlake taste with an unusual porch railing in the Ornamental taste.
1711 and 1712 Gen. Pershing. A pair of fine small Edwardian Builders single residences.
1922, 25, 29, 30, 35, 38 Gen. Pershing and 1907, 15, 21 Napolean. An interesting group (some altered) of two-story Eastlake side hall residences.
2005 Gen. Pershing. Fine one and one-half story residence with a Colonial Revival gambrel-shaped front gable end, but with a mansard roof on lower portions and important Italian and Sullivanesque elements.
2119-21, 23-25, 27-29 Gen. Pershing. Three very elaborate detailed Edwardian Builders double camelbacks, in a vernacular manner.
1701-03, 11-13, 15 Marengo. Three identical frame Queen Anne houses, of which 1715 retains most of its original fabric as well as its one-family use. The other two have had various fairly minor changes. The 1900 City Directory lists Thomas Sully as residing at 1701.
2200 Marengo. A good large scale two-story corner shop-residence in the Eastlake manner. An important building on the street.
2302 Marengo. A corner store, Eastlake.
1903 Milan. A fine Eastlake single residence with extensive original woodwork.
2006 Milan. A large Colonial Revival two and one-half story residence with elaborate but refined detailing.
1817 Napolean. Side hall two-story residence in the French Mansard taste.
2037 Napolean. An Edwardian villa, but this one in a Japanese taste with pagoda roofs and window muntins workied in Oriental patterns. A highly unusual exotic building.
1617 Peniston. Two and one-half story side hall residence in an early Queen Anne manner with Italiante and Eastlake details. Much alteration to openings.
1905 Peniston. One and one-half story residence with California and Arts and Crafts influences, handsome and in good condition despite painted wood shingle siding.
1918, 20, 19, and 21 Peniston; Four small two-story singles in an elaborate Edwardian Builders manner.
2216 Peniston. An exuberant raised California Stick bungalow.
3513 St. Charles. Armstrong and Koch, architects, 1932. Handsome Tidewater Virginia Colonial Revival.
3711 St. Charles. A very fine restrained center hall Italiante residence.
3811 St. Charles. Mansion in a fairly Italianate manner with later large scale Classical Revival portico.
4100 Block of St. Charles-Palm Terrace. A small street running from St. Charles to Carondelet and lined on both sides with small one-story residence in the Mission taste. The quality runs from average to quite inventive. Simple cubic forms mix with some rather fanciful Spanish and Moorish details.
1120 Bordeaux. Greek Revival center hall cottage with arches between porch columns.
1201 Cadiz. St. Peter African Methodist Episcopal Church. F. Randolph, architect, 1877 (?); remodeled 1890; rebuilt 1924. An extensively rebuilt brick church with apparently the original colored glass windows and shingled portion of the bell tower. National Register listing.
4219 Chestnut. Greek Revival side galleried camelback shotgun.
4219 Constance. Gothic-Queen Anne two-story rectory.
4868 Constance. A handsome Greek Revival raised cottage with a Creole plan. In a fine yard.
830 Foucher. Queen Anne side hall residence with fine Eastlake millwork, in a large yard.
1414 Jena. A residential apartment structure with an unusual and complex fabric combining Queen Anne, Arts and crafts and Italianate Villa or Mission details. Important primarily for the Arts and Crafts elements.
5105 Laurel. Side hall plan cottagwe with side gallery and partial attic. Important for its Queen Anne and Eastlake millwork.
4636 Magazine. Valence Street Baptist Church. Thomas Sully, architect.
A Queen Anne church in wood. City Landmark.
4803 Magazine. Greek Revival center hall cottage.
4843 Magazine. Raised cottage in the Italianate taste.
4864 magazine. A corner store, Eastlake.
4904 Magazine. One-story side hall Italianate residence with a fine side porch and nice yard.
4919-21 Magazine. Two-story double of about 1900 with decorative details reminiscent of Queen Anne and of Sullivan.
4935-37 Magazine. Two-story commercial building with residence above, in an odd combination of the Italian Villa of 1900, Spanish and Gothic. In good original condition.
5234 Magazine. Two-story Eastlake corner shop-residence, with fine gallery.
1314 napolean. Thomas mulligan, builder, by 1872; 1883 addition- Albert Dietel, architect; James Freret, architect for wing on Perrier Street. The mansard complex of St. Elizabeth’s, a fine example of this style; an important neighborhood element. City Landmark.
4602 Prytania. An intact side hall Greek Revival cottage; Italiante columns.
1029 Robert. A small Queen Anne raised side hall house with Eastlake millwork in exceptionally fine original condition, set in a good yard.
4538 St. Charles. A good local example of the tile-roofed stone Italian (or Mediteranian) Villa popular at the turn of the century.
4600 St. Charles. St. George’s Episcopal Church, 1899, a simple late nineteenth century church in the Romanesque taste.
4630 St. Charles. A two and one-half story stone Italain Beaux Arts Villa of the turn of the century. Small in scale but weel designed.
4730 St. Charles. A two-story residence with carriage house (relocated) in an Italianate-Eastlake manner. A rather unusual example of a large dwelling done in a vernacular style more often seen on smaller residences.
4109 Tchopitoulas. An intact center hall Greek Revival cottage with an exceptionnaly fine front door.
4701 Tchopitoulas. A simple Italianate commercial building of quality, renovated recently.
936-38 Valence. A late nineteenth century survival of the Creole corner store, with French doors opening to the sidewalk and with a shed over the sidewalk.
1028 Valence. Trinity United Methodist Church, 1912 (?). A simple Gothic brick church with handsome street elevation. An important visual element on the street.
1503 Valence. Tewell House. A raised cottage with Italianate columns, brackets, rail and dormer addes to the original Greek Revival building. National Register listing and City landmark.
322 Hillary. A Greek revival cottage with kitchen wing, in a large yard.
820 Dublin. Creole-American cottage, circa 1830. Some alterations and additions.
900 Dublin. Early Creole-American cottage, French doors and 12/12 double-hung sash. Possibly a double originally, even with altered porch posts and railing, this is an important building.
1019 Dublin. A fine one and one-half story very small Greek Revival side hall cottage.
1105 Joliet. A small double cottage with symmetrical wings at the sides. Although with l;ater columns and doors, this early Greek Revival building is unusual and important.
8201 and 8205 Maple. A pair of small Italianate raised cottages, the only identified pair of this building type in the city. 8205 has had extensive alterations; 8201 minor ones.
514-16 Burdette. Two-story single residence. Although deteriorating, this is an interesting, rather naïve version of the Italian Villa of the turn of the century, with some Sullivanesque influences.
810 (?) S. Carrollton. A Greek Revival cottage with a large front yard. Although the porch base, columns and railing date from about 1900, thisis a n important example of a favorite building type in this area.
836 S. Carrollton. An Eastlake center hall cottage in fine original condition.
932 S. Carrollton. A Greek Revival raised cottage with later Italiante revisions.
1140 S. Carrollton. Maritime Bank and trust Co., 1927. A simple stone Beaux Arts bank in an early Renaissance taste. Despite some detrimental sash replacements, it makes a handsome entrance to Oak Street.
1200 S. Carrollton. Carrollton Branch of the Whitney National Bank, 1920. Emile Weil, architect; Albert Bendernagle, designer. A small scale, but bold, stone Beaux Arts Roman Baroque church, with a rectory.
1226 S. Carrollton, Favrot and Livaudais, Ltd. Architects, 1927, in a simple Beaux Arts manner.
1602 S. Carrollton. An unusual combination of Bungalow and Beaux Arts, in a complex form.
1610 S. Carrollton. An elegantly detailed and unusual bungalow with much influence from the Sullivanesque manner.
1626 S. Carrollton. A two and one-half Tudor Shingle residence with some Queen Anne overtones as well as important California elements. The first floor front porch and openings have been altered.
1820 S. Carrollton. An unusual two-story residence in a large yard, of stone, brick and red tile. A strong California influence is seen, as well as Arts and Crafts, and a Beaux Arts-Spanish in the tile roof.
517 Fern. Fine Greek Revival center hall cottage with Italianate details added. A good example of a suburban villa.
518 Fern Street. Althought the remodeled porch detrimental, this is an attractive small side hall two-story residence in the Mansard manner.
515 Huso. Although deteriorating and somewhat altered, this two-story raised house is an interesting example of Mansard style with Eastlake porch details.
300-02, 304-06, 308-10, 312-14 and 320-22 Lowerline. A group of four double shotgun houses in the Edwardian Builder’s style.
A fine example of shotguns in the up-to-date taste of the times, here an interpretation of the Beaux Arts Italian Villa of the Edwardian period. 320-22 is an Eastlake double shotgun remodeled to match its neighbors.
338 Lowerline. A California style cottage, important for its intact condition and setting, which includes an out-building and garden fences.
7510 Pearl. One and one-half story cottage, its form of the early nineteenth century, as are its four French doors on the street, but with mid-nineteenth century details. In original condition, this house is an excellent example of the early small houses still found along the bend of the river at Carrollton.
7932 St. Charles. A small one-story cottage in a large yard, with very simple naïve, minimal Eastlake detailing.
7932 St. Charles. A rather ambitiopus two-story shingled resiodence with carport at the back. Certain changes such as enclosing of a side porch, are detrimental, but easily removed. A mixture of California and a rather regular Classical mass.
8000 St. Charles. The lorraine Apartments, with extensively original fabric, is an interesting early apartment building with design influence from Chicago- both Prairie and Sullivanesque- and a touch of Beaux Arts in the main entry. There is an interesting suggestion of the incipient Art Deco in the design. Stucco, brick and wood.
©Koch and Wilson/Urban