Individual Landmarks Recommendations
These buildings fall within Community development Neighborhoods, but not within the boundaries of proposed National Register districts. Some members of groups fall outside these neighborhoods, some within Districts.
2179 N. Broad. A small one-story residence in a combination of International and Streamlined styles.
1012 Brooklyn Street. A fine one-story Eastlake house in good original condition, and in a nice yard.
1800 Canal. Orleans Parish Medical Society offices. An important large two and one-half story residence in an elaborate, bold-scaled Eastlake taste.
2626 S. Carrollton. An interesting two-story shingled house in the California style, but with important Arts and Crafts overtones. Understated and quite distinctive.
2814 S. Carrollton. Two and one-half story symmetrical Tudor residence, elegantly detailed.
2908 S. Carrollton. An interesting two-story early twentieth century mansion in a combination of a Beaux Arts villa and Prairie.
3320 S. Carrollton. Waldo Barton Memorial. Samuel Labouisse, architect. A handsome institutional building in the Beaux Arts Italian villa style, probably the finest example of this style in New Orleans. Original fence and gates.
3400 S. Carrollton. Cleveland dairy products Co., Inc. Favrot and livaudais, architects. An elegantly designed five-story eighteenth century Beaux Arts Pallazzo, Terra Cotta tile.
538 S. Claiborne. Saba’s G. Exxon Station. Streamlined filling station.
4117 S. Claiborne. Tharp-Sontheimer Funeral Home. A correct, discreet Beaux Arts Jacobean design in stone and stucco.
1565 Cleveland. A unique Greek Revival double two-story residence. The corner site has been used to develop an asymmetrical plan, with entries from two different streets. In extraordinary intact original condition. Apparently occupied at one time by Lafcadio Hearn.
2201 Clio. Liberty Ice and Cold Storage Co. Two and four story Beaux Arts Palazzo building in brick and stucco. Despite losses and deterioration, this boldy designed building is an impressive rendering of the fortified palace, and an important neighborhood landmark. If the Central City Historic District now being reviewed does not include this buuilding, we recommend it for an individual National Register listing.
4950 Dauphine. Holy Cross College. The central block, James Freret, architect, 1895; the end pavillions, 1912. The simple center mass with Romanesque details and typical Italianate cast iron verandahs contrasts with a rather plain Beaux Arts Italianate additions. Not a distinguished building, it is an important neighborhood element.
800 Delta Street. A turn of the century brick railroad structure, well detailed and extensively original.
400 Egania. Milton Doullut House, and
505 Egania. Paul Doullut House. These two fantasies, houses derived from the design of late nineteenth century riverboats, are highly personal, imaginative work in the Eastlake taste, and are possibly of National Landmark status. Both are city landmarks.
8311 Fig. An excellently designed manufacturing building designed in the Italian Castello style, but with important influences from the Prairie school.
2437 Jefferson. One and one-half story Jacobean residence.
1315 S. Jefferson Davis. Blue Plate Foods. Although not a distinguished building, this three -story Streamlined building is a good typical example of its kind.
2125 Leonidas. One and one-half story Tudor house, with fine details.
2425 Louisiana Avenue. Flint-Goodrich Hospital, Moise Goldstein, architect. A very simple Art Deco institutional building.
2 Marlborough Gate. One and one-half story shingle and stone house in the California style, with Arts and Crafts influences.
Michoud. A brick sugar mill chimney surviving from an early nineteenth century cane plantation complex.
2400 Block Napolean. Our lady of Lourdes Church. Diboll and Owens, architects, 1924. Spanish Revival.
330o Block Napolean. At. S. Johnson, downtown, river side corner. A Beaux Arts residence in a Classical manner.
3915 Napolean. A significant two-story residence in the California style with japanese influences.
7325 Palmetto. Xavier University. A group of correctly designed late Gothic buildings. The three-story Administration building on Pine, which joins a two-story building next to it on Pine. All of these are stone. Adjacent to the Administration building on Palmetto is a brick and cast stone two and one-half story library by Wogan and Bernard, 1937.
2805 Paris Ave. A two-story shingled California style house, with a porch showing some Classical influence.
2916 Paris Ave. A two-story shingled California style house, with a porch showing some Classical influence.
2916 Paris Ave. St. Leo the Great Church. Paul G. Charbonnet, designer, 1930. A Spanish Revival building of a complex mass, but with ornament concentrated at the openings, especially the entrance which is richly detailed. A rectory on Paris Avenue and a school and convent on St. Bernard are part of the complex.
422 Park Boulevard. California style bungalow, with strong Japanese influences.
Rigolets. On the northwest point of the Rigolets an abandoned frame lighthouse in fair condition, circa 1890, stands above the water on pilings. Rectangular in plan with a gallery on all four sides, it rises to a tower with a lantern set in the center of the hip roof.
416 S. Roman. Crisis Care Center. An Italianate frame two-story residence with later in-fills and alterations.
6400 and 6500 blocks St. Claude. Arsenal Buildings, Jackson Barracks. This simple brick building with its brick protective wall is an integral part of the Jackson barracks, although separated from it. Later roof and cupola and other minor alterations.
605 St. Maurice Avenue. St. Maurice Church, attributed to P. Cambiaso, architect, 1857. Despite later remodeling and restuccoin, this building remains a fine example of mid-nineteenth century Norman architecture.
2321 Thalia. Corner S. Liberty. Union Bethel A.M. Church. Emile Weil, architect, 1910. Repaired after a fire, 1966, Sieforth and Gibert, architects. A nicely proportioned Gothic church evocative of mid-nineteenth century work. Although somewhat altered, it retains much original exterior fabric and is an important visual landmark in its neighborhood, contrasting with the adjacent housing project. If the Central City Historic District now being reviewed does not include this building, we recommend it for the National Register listing.
1800 Tulane. St. Joseph’s Church. A large brick and stone church in the Norman Style. City landmark.
1802 Tulane. Rectory, St. Joeseph’s Church, 1869. Two-story frame residence in a late Italianate style.
2700 Tulane. Orleans Parish Criminal Courts Building. Diboll and Owens, architects, 1929. An interesting transitional building with the center portion in a Beaux Arts Classical style and the end pavillions in the New Art Deco style.
a) Bayou St. John Bridges
1) At Orleans- Simple Art Deco, concrete and steel.
2) A t Dumaine- Art Moderne-International style, concrete and steel.
3) At 1400 Moss- Steel truss bridge, now for pedestrians only.
4) At Esplanade- A brick and steel bridge, with fences and certain elements of the actual bridge in decorative metal work. Late nineteenth century in design.
5) At deSaix- Art Deco, in concrete and steel.
6) By I-610- A simple railroad bridge in concrete and sheets of steel.
b) 8201 and 8820 Apricot and 2716 and 2727 Dublin
A group of well designed modest bunglows in the California manner. Each one being good, but not exceptional, the group is important.
c) Lower Garden District Neighborhood
The following group of buildings is worth listing. With restoration, they would constitute a mini-district.
1) 1362 S. Peters: Simple brick warehouse with segmental arched openings, the masonry in good condition. Later nineteenth century. Green.
2) 1400 S. Peters: Bounded by Terpsichore, Henderson and S. Front and S. Peters, this later nineteenth century brick warehouse is in good original condition. Green.
3) Warehouse, bounded by S. Peters, Terpsichore, Henderson and Tchoupitoulas: This Greek Revival warehouse has extensive original fabric, including many flat-headed openings with original or appropriate batten doors and original wrought iron strap hinges. The repetitive design is broken on S. Peters by a main entrance element with arched openings, and an office block. A fine early building. Blue.
4) Uptown lake side corner Tchoupitoulas and Orange: A two-story commercial building in fair condition. Red to Green.
In Lower Garden District National Register Historic District.
5) 1449 S. Peters and 400-04 Euterpe: Greek Revival two-story commercial building in fair condition. Green.
7) Warehouse, bounded by S. Peters, Henderson, S. Front and Euterpe. A later nineteenth century brick structure, open on S. Peters Street, much altered. Red to Green.
d. Sewerage and Water Board Buildings
The City of New Orleans is famous for its pumps that remove surface water from the storm drain system, and the necessity of purifying water from the Mississippi is an additional scientific achievement. Housing these activities is a group of late nineteenth century and early twentieth century buildings which we recommend as an historic group.They apparently were desined by the architects and engineers on the staff of the Sewerage and Water Board.
There are two variations of the early twentieth century Italian style used. The first is a country villa style of the stucco, with bracket wood cornices and consisting of groups of lower buildings with a high tower as a dominant element. This same style is used for small octagonal buildings scattered around town, using a Tuscan arched design. A second type is the exposed brick building with simple rustication and a pattern of pilasters. One building was once brick and is now painted, but is in this basic style.
1120 Elmira, 1321 Orleans, 8801 Spruce: This is the largest complex of stuccoed, towered buildings with projecting tile roofs supported on bracketed wood cornices.
4000 Clara, 2431 Palmyra and 4725 St. Claude: A group of small stuccoed octagonal buildings with tile roofs and a Tuscan treatment of openings. The St. Claude building is two stories; the others are one story.
444 N. Broad (1889), 2251 S. Broad (1890), 2501 S. Broad (1889), 4841 Florida (1900), 5741 Orleans (?) and 1 520 Whitney (1909): This group of simple mass pilastered and rusticated red brick, is another variation of the classical Beaux Arts style.
e. Jackson Barracks
It is our understanding that the existing National Register listing for Jackson Barracks includes the one building at the head of the parade ground opening to the river. If so, the following structures should be investigated for inclusion:
1) the four buildings adjacent to the existing listed structure, all four being situated in a “circular” plot of ground surrounded by a drive.
3) Six buildings immediately across the street towards the lake from the buildings listed under No. 2 above, including four buildings on the street and two towers set in back of them.
4) the masonry wall and a small buiklding it joins at the corner of Dauphine and Delery Streets might be included.
5) See above under 6400 and 6500 blocks of St. Claude for the arsenal.